Feedback

Topics: General Discussion
Apr 6, 2007 at 7:02 PM
Edited Apr 6, 2007 at 7:02 PM
So, what do you think about AIP? Any thoughts for improvement?
Jul 18, 2007 at 6:44 PM
Great gadget and I can make a page display it.
Thanks
I do have some conceptual difficulties that I have not been able to resolve with the documentation.
There are 3 objects in the toolbox. I am not sure of the purpose of use of them and so used the instructions in the "How do I Wiki" to add a control via HTML.
The cross hatch is cool but I do not understand the instructions to use it.
I understand that the control can be customized but have not been able to figure out how to do that either ( for example I want the control to validate on the Next button of the "Create a new Account Wizard".
In all, it probably has more to do with my lack of understanding than the documentation.
Am I grasping to high or is there some more information I could digest for newbies?
Thanks,
Stephen
Jul 18, 2007 at 9:11 PM
Hi Stephen,

Thanks for the feedback.

There are 3 objects in the toolbox. I am not sure of the purpose of use of them and so used the instructions in the "How do I Wiki" to add a control via HTML.

I'll make a note to describe each control in more detail for the next release.

AutoInputProtectionControl is the actual AIP control that you must add to your page.

As an optional feature, you can edit the control's template in design mode as you would edit any other ASP.NET 2.0 server control template. However, if you edit the control's template then you must tell the control where you want the text box and image to appear relative to your custom HTML by adding the two placeholder controls to the template.

In the designer you can use the AIP control's smart tag to place the control in template-edit mode.

Here's an example:

<dsweb:AutoInputProtectionControl ID="AutoInputProtectionControl1" runat="server">
  <Template>
    Validate User: <br /> 
    <dsweb:AutoInputProtectionImagePlaceHolder runat="server" /><br /> 
    <dsweb:AutoInputProtectionTextBoxPlaceHolder runat="server" />
  </Template>
</dsweb:AutoInputProtectionControl>
For more information about ASP.NET templates, see http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/d709zh44.aspx.

The cross hatch is cool but I do not understand the instructions to use it.

It's merely an example of a custom filter provider. It doesn't ship with AIP, so you must create it yourself if you want to use it.

The source code can be found in the How Do I Figures wiki. Just add a new class to your web project and paste in the code sample.

Example #2 on the home page shows how you can register the filter once you define it in your application.

I understand that the control can be customized but have not been able to figure out how to do that either ( for example I want the control to validate on the Next button of the "Create a new Account Wizard".

The following code seems to work just fine for me:

<asp:CreateUserWizard ID="CreateUserWizard1" runat="server">
  <WizardSteps>
    <asp:TemplatedWizardStep runat="server" AllowReturn="false">
      <ContentTemplate>
        <dsweb:AutoInputProtectionControl ID="AutoInputProtectionControl1" runat="server">
        </dsweb:AutoInputProtectionControl>
      </ContentTemplate>
    </asp:TemplatedWizardStep>
    <asp:CreateUserWizardStep runat="server">
    </asp:CreateUserWizardStep>
    <asp:CompleteWizardStep runat="server">
    </asp:CompleteWizardStep>
  </WizardSteps>
</asp:CreateUserWizard>

In all, it probably has more to do with my lack of understanding than the documentation.
Am I grasping to high or is there some more information I could digest for newbies?

The documentation is lite right now but I plan to improve it for the next release.

Thanks,
Dave